Pages

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Bee Geisha Research

Yes, yes, I know. I can't seem to concentrate on one novel at a time. Unless I get into the "groove", the obsessive phase where I can write for hours on end and don't even get up if mildly hungry, I usually don't.

So here's a growing list of bee geisha books I'm using as research, because you see, it's damn hard to find what I want in one source. So I have to go across so many different subjects to get what I need. Other research topics are going to be makeup and dress, etiquette, tattoos, courtesans, dance, tea ceremony, and body language. That's just to start with.

I don't think I ever did this much research for a novel before--sure I've read about four or five books, plus dozens of articles, for EoS, but that's was relatively easy. Look up Aztecs, find Aztec information, there you go.

To find out what I need for bee geisha, not only am I going to have look up the two main topics, bees and geisha, but Japanese and Chinese culture and daily life, Greek culture and daily life, and any "art" that the "geisha" in my story will have to learn.

Like manners, how to dress, make up, tea ceremony, dances. They will have to read body language like a pro and be able to control any conversation with their own words--so books about speaking. Oh and feng shui is also going to have a role in this. I'm sure I'll discover tons of more stuff.

But for now, here is my starter list.

Ios's bee-geisha-research book montage



Daily Life in Greece at the Time of Pericles

The Mikado's Empire: A History of Japan from the Age of Gods to the Meiji Era

The Greeks: Life and Customs

The Chrysanthemum and the Sword

Geisha: A Life

A Keeper of Bees: Notes on Hive and Home

The Gentle Art of Verbal Self-Defense at Work

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

Memoirs of a Geisha



Ios's favorite books »


No comments:

Post a Comment